Cardinal Dougherty had recommended that the Sinnott estate be used as the site for a college and assisted Mother Mary Francis Tolhurst, SHCJ Superior General, in obtaining permission to borrow and spend the necessary sums to purchase the property.
On June 28, 1921, permission was received from Cardinal Gasparri, Secretary of State at the Vatican to purchase the Sinnott estate.
On Aug. 1, 1921, with the formal permission and blessing of the Cardinal, the Sisters negotiated the purchase of the property.
In the next few months, the refurbishing and equipping of the many rooms transformed the large French Renaissance house into the Administration or Main Building housing the Chapel and Classroom space.
Work on the new college continued throughout the summer of 1921, until everything was ready to welcome Rosemont’s first students.
History and English were the most popular majors; French, Mathematics, and Chemistry were offered later.
The first students to arrive were Annie Sweeney, Helen McCarthy, Mary Lembach, and Helen Blake, from the School of the Holy Child at Suffern. Next came Pauline Horstmann and Mary Kerrigan, from St. Leonard’s Academy. The Misses de la Chapelle arrived from Cuba. Lastly, Catherine Wolff, also a student from the School of the Holy Child at Sharon Hill, PA, arrived. (Pictured here are Helen Blake and Patricia Stevenson, the College's first two graduates - The Class of 1925)