AFJS sporting achievements
A huge congratulations to the school football team who played in their first tournament of this academic year last week and won all 3 of their matches! There were some great returning performances from last year's players but also some new faces that made a great impression from the new Y5s who are now eligible to play. Well done all of you for some great skills and also excellent sportsmanship and behaviour.
Yesterday, a group of Year 6 pupils represented AFJS at the rowing competition at Harris school. Despite not having long to train, they did really well and represented the school brilliantly as always. :)
Mrs Hartwell has also been busy running cross country trials this half term to put together a school team to compete in the local competition coming up soon. The children have shown excellent dedication to these sessions in their lunch breaks and there are some great runners who we know will be excellent AFJS ambassadors and do us proud.
Finally, a group of pupils from y5 and 6 attended the Gifted and Talented sports session at Harris school a couple of weeks ago to try out a wide range of different sporting activties and had a great day. Mrs Briggs and Miss Wood accompanied the children are were very pleased with their behaviour and efforts across the whole day.
We will be holding Christmas Fair and Raffle Draw straight after school on Friday 15th December. To make this event a success, we are holding a non-uniform day on Friday 15th December when we are asking for the following donations -
- Adult Tombola - bottles, chocolates, toiletries, any new items
- Children’s Tombola – any new items, toys, chocolate, sweets
- Cake Stall – homemade or shop bought – don’t forget that we are a NUT FREE school
- Teddy Stall – washed, pre-loved teddies and soft toys
- Christmas jumpers – washed and in good condition
- Raffle – any prizes welcomed - please let us know if you work for a company that can donate a prize
Look out for your raffle tickets from the PTA coming out soon too along with a letter about ways you can help out!
UPCOMING EVENTS - more information will be shared closer to the time but keep these dates in your diary
- Fri 24th November - TRAINING DAY - SCHOOL CLOSED TO ALL PUPILS
- wb 27th November - Open Afternoons for each year group - see further information below
- Tues 28th November - Be Internet Legends day - online safety assembly for pupils and link has also been shared for parents to take part
- Fri 1st Dec - Whole School Pantomime
- wb 4th Dec - Book Fair in school in collaboration with local bookshop Hunts
- Thurs 14th Dec Y3/4 Christmas play - one from 2pm-3pm and one from 6pm-7pm
- Fri 15th Dec - non-uniform day for Christmas fair donations
- Fri 15th Dec - PTA Christmas Fair from 3:30pm
- Tues 19th Dec - Christmas lunch and Christmas jumper day
- Weds 20th - Y5&6 Carols evening from 6pm
- wb 25th Dec and 1st Jan - CHRISTMAS HOLIDAYS
- Monday 8th Jan - TRAINING DAY - SCHOOL CLOSED TO ALL PUPILS
Class assembly dates
There are only 2 class assemblies left for this term. Tuesday 21st November is Mr Evans' class and Tuesday 5th December is Mrs Beech's class. Starting at 2:50pm.
Next term, class assemblies will be on a Tuesday again, but they will start at 9:05am. I will send out a schedule as soon as we have it ready.
Open afternoon dates
Our open afternoons are a great opportunity for parents to come in and complete some activities with their children linked to their learning this term. You can also have a look through all of their books and chat to year group staff.
Messages from the office
Don't forget to log in to your Stir account to order a Christmas dinner if your child would like one. Christmas dinner day is Tuesday 19th December and children can also come to school in their Christmas jumpers on that day.
- Please update the office on any new phone numbers or addresses that need adding to your child's contact list. It is really important that we have the correct details in case of an emergency. You can email them your change of details at any time throughout the year if needed.
Here are details of some local activities we have had shared with us recently that may be of interest to you.
Following the success of the Y3 and Y6 Tag Rugby tournament, our local sports partnership collated this list of local Rugby clubs for us to share with parents. The contact details are the most recent ones that were stored on record:
Please remember that we cannot vouch for any of these providers, we are just sharing information that might be of use or interest to our families that has been sent to us.